- 3 cups rolled oats, Old fashioned
- 1 cup slivered almonds or walnuts/pecans, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- Ground Cinnamon (optional but I love cinnamon)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup of your favorite olive oil Blood Orange Olive Oil is really good in this recipe or an unflavored one like Arbequina Olive Oil, Lime Olive Oil or Butter olive oil - you can be creative
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- PB protein powder (optional but I like to add it sometimes)
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 10 x 15 inch rimmed baking pan with parchment paper, make sure to drape the paper over the sides.
In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, coconut, flax meal, protein powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a small saucepan, heat the syrup, brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of water over medium heat. Stirring the mixture often and just until the sugar dissolves, this will take about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool. Then add the remaining 3 Tablespoons water, olive oil, egg white and vanilla extract. Mix all together until combined.
Combine the dry and wet ingredients and then spread evenly into baking pan.
Cook for about 40 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Let cool about 30 minutes before breaking apart.
*Recipe adapted from "Best Lunch Box Ever" by Katie Morford