Light and Crisp, sweet and savory shortbread made with olive oil instead of butter.
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups powered sugar (yields shortbread, scale back to 1 cup or just 3/4 for less sweet/,more savory cookies)
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup of Olive Oil Etcetera Rosemary Olive Oil
- Preheat the Oven to 325 degrees. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, rosemary and lemon zest. Pour in the olive oil and stir until all of the dry mixture is incorporated. Transfer the dough to a 9 by 9 inch baker (grease your pan first to be safe). Use your fingers to squish the dough into an even layer. Prick the surface of the dough all over with a fork (a diagonal pattern looks nice), Bake until the surface feels firm to the touch and is slightly golden around the edges (keep an eye on it), about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the pan cool for 20 minutes (no sooner or no later!). Then, using a very sharp knife, slice the shortbread into 8 even columns, and 4 even rows (cookies will be roughly 1 inch by 2 1/2 inches long). Try to let the cookies cool some more before using a small spatula to remove them from the pan, or serve them directly from the pan.
*Chris rolled the dough into little rounds flattened with the bottom of a drinking glass. *